"Do I dare disturb the universe?"
~T.S. Eliot

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Black Lives Matter...thoughts from the woods of Michigan

I realize there's been a lot of awful things in the news lately. I feel separated from it here in the naturey, artsy haven that is Interlochen. I've been trying to catch up and read about the latest terrible events that have rocked the black community. I began to have conversations with colleagues about what we can do. I also saw Abraham.In.Motion, perform here, a dance company that focuses on physical portrayal of social issues. The nearly all-black company performed a piece representing the events in Baltimore and Furguson, and it was very powerful for me, and relevant. What am I trying to say? I'm not sure exactly, what I wanted to say I am here, and I am with you.

The dichotomy...
From a Black Lives Matter protest in Chicago, November 2015





Interlochen's Kresge Auditorium





No comments:

Post a Comment