"Do I dare disturb the universe?"
~T.S. Eliot

Monday, February 21, 2011

Post-Contact Improv thoughts

Here are a few quick thoughts following a two day Contact workshop with Noam Carmelli...

I haven't done much contact at all since Kirstie Simson's class at U of I, which is now quite a long time ago!  It felt amazing to feel moving bodies again and to have that sense of touch awoken.  At the end of the first day, I felt a little knot in my throat like a was close to crying, I'm not even sure why, but just such an awesome emotional and physical release.  My muscles, on the other hand, felt relaxed, like a lot of tension I've been holding these last couple weeks was let go.

At the end of both days, I had gathered a huge sense of affection for the group and being protective over everyone.  When you move and dance with someone else, you must sense them, and there is a mutual idea of understanding when you "listen" with the body.  There is a deep sense of empathy when you contact in this way.

We talked about the idea that if everyone sensed movement in the way that we (dancers) do...can we create a better world in which to live?  One of my favorite former teachers, Erika Randall, used to say, "Modern Dance for world peace!"  I believe it!

No comments:

Post a Comment